Taxes - Several tax rates

• Tony Latino
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #92455 by Tony Latino
Taxes - Several tax rates was created by Tony Latino
Just Bought Eshop two weeks ago, got everything set up, except for taxes.

I have a presence in Florida. This means anytime I sell to someone in Florida, I have to collect Florida Sales Tax (6.0%). BUT each county has a different tax rate as well. Example - If I sell to someone in Orlando, the tax rate is 6%, but if they live in Pensacola, FL (a different county) - they charge 7.5%.

Is there a way to charge sales tax other than just by state?

Has anyone done this? And how did you do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tony Latino
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #92456 by Tony Latino
Replied by Tony Latino on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
I also should have said that Florida has 67 different counties.

More
7 years 1 month ago #95489 by Arlene
Replied by Arlene on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
We have the same question about the state of Georgia, which has many tax rates across zip codes within the state. Since we can only create a GeoZone for the whole state and apply tax rates to that GeoZone, I don't see how we can apply these individual taxes. To complicate a bit more, we also have the City of Atlanta, which adds an additional 1% to whatever counties it is part of and those counties aren't exclusive to Atlanta.

For example, Alpharetta is in Fulton County. Fulton charges 7%.
Atlanta is in Fulton County, Fulton charges 7%, Atlanta adds 1%, so the total is 8%.

This is the simplest example I can find. At the moment the only way I see to deal with this is to collect the maximum amount of tax that would be charged for anywhere in the state, which would be 8% or 9%, which is a big difference from the 6% that Cherokee county charges on a $5,000 purchase of drums of concrete stain! $300 vs $450 in taxes difference. To have to charge that much extra because the cart doesn't have the capability seems pretty limiting.

Georgia and Florida are NOT the exceptions in the US. How does eShop think we should deal with this since there is no built-in way that I can find.

More
7 years 1 month ago #95848 by Arlene
Replied by Arlene on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
Any thoughts on this matter?

More
7 years 1 month ago #96053 by John
Replied by John on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
I'm setting up a new site for a friend of mine in Colorado and want to use EShop, but he has the same situation there, where sales tax collection is 'destination based', and there a lot of different possible 'destinations' in Colorado, with a lot of different sales tax rates.

I've opened a Support Ticket regarding this and hope to hear something later tonight or in the morning. It looks like it may take some changes in the code in EShop to add this capability. I may do this or have it done, as I think EShop is the best shopping cart for my friend's site.

John Rayfield, Jr.

More
6 years 9 months ago #101074 by Tim Snellings
Replied by Tim Snellings on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
I've set up a website for a California business. Our sales tax is different in just about every city (about 480 cities) and each of our 58 counties. I was going to use another shopping cart software that works with an integration called TaxCloud (taxcloud.net). I really like this service. For $10/month, they have an API that would calculate the sales tax based on the billing address, which is perfect for my need. The BAD NEWS is that I don't see that EShop has an integration like this with TaxCloud or another similar company. This would be a quick solution if they would do this...I'll suggest it in a support ticket...onward, Tim

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 8 months ago #101226 by Giang Dinh Truong
Replied by Giang Dinh Truong on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
Hello Tim,

I had plan to develop this feature. Please continue to following up the ticket.

Sincerely, Giang

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #101231 by Tim Snellings
Thanks for your response...any sense on how long it might take? I'd suggest California first... :-) I need to figure something out pretty soon.

In case it helps, I've attached the sales tax rates for all California cities as of July 2017.

...thanks, Tim
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tim Snellings.

More
6 years 8 months ago #101573 by Tim Snellings
Any estimate of how long it will be before you have a sales tax tool, by city/county for California that integrates with EShop? Thanks, Tim

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 8 months ago #101664 by Giang Dinh Truong
Replied by Giang Dinh Truong on topic Taxes - Several tax rates
Dear Tim,

I think I will have update on that in next 1-2 months.

Sincerely, Giang

Moderators: Giang Dinh Truong