Option to hide past events by month or number of days

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120758 by Stephan Hodges
Right now, I can either show past events on the calendar or hide them. When hiding, all events in the past are hidden. This means that when someone looks at your calendar near the end of the month, it appears as if you have offered nothing for the month before "today".

This is bad for marketing and bad for attracting new customers/students.

Showing ALL past events, on the other hand, shows too much, right now.

My customer wants to show the entire month, and hide past months.

I'd like to ask if you could enhance the existing setting to "Hide Past Events" (Yes/No) to instead "Hide Past Events Older than" XXX )(either months or days or a two part field of "XXX" and "Months/Days". Examples: 1 Month, 45 Days, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120912 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic Option to hide past events by month or number of days
Turning off the "Hide Past Events" has not worked out. Customer says:

"past events began flooding the list under Workshops drop down menu page and many students were unable to register for the Saturday workshop."

Any feedback on how we could fix this in the sort run, and also if it might be implemented?

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago #120915 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Option to hide past events by month or number of days
I don't understand the issue mentioned in your last post. Could you please explain more details with Hide Past Events turning off? Exactly what's the problem?

Tuan

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120917 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic Option to hide past events by month or number of days
I'm not sure if you're not understanding the 1st post (request for changing something), or just the extra comment from my customer.

I think what the customer is saying is that when "Hide Past" is turned off, then there are a very large number of events (all past) showing on the menu page that shows workshops. ("Programs" menu, "Workshops" submenu, here: hymcillinois.com/programs/workshops )

This is because it shows events in chronological order.

Example: We have 6 events in January 2019. With "Hide" ON, it shows the 1st 2019 Event at the top. With it OFF, it shows approximately 80-90 events before coming to the 1st NEW event of 2019.

I've attached both OFF and ON screenshots.

So, I guess the actual request for an enhancement is to control the CALENDAR appearance (for this customer). They want to be able to show past events on the calendar for the current and previous 1 or 2 months, so that NEW customers see that they have a lot of classes and events, etc.

Perhaps there's some setting that I don't know about. Sorry if I've missed something that can already do this.

Thanks for your time on this!

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120918 by Stephan Hodges
Perhaps an override on the configuration -> themes -> Calendar section to show past events for XX months ONLY ON THE CALENDAR?

By "override", I mean that it would work even with "Hide Past Events" to YES.

You would also change the help pop-up on the "Hide Past Events" item to mention this new override.

If the override defaulted to zero, that would be consistent with the current implementation.

Respectfully,
Stephan

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago #120922 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Option to hide past events by month or number of days
I would not add new config option, sorry. Maybe you should:

1. Set Hide Past Events config option to Yes

2. In the menu item which you create to display events in calendar, set Hide Past Events to No

By doing that, only in calendar, past events will be shown. On all other pages (like Workshops page), past events will be hided to make it easier for users to find future events

Not sure if can be used on your site?

Tuan

• Stephan Hodges
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120948 by Stephan Hodges
That worked well! I didn't know about the ability to override the hide settings only for the calendar menu item.

Thanks!

You could add a sentence to the main "Hide" option pop up help to say this can be overridden in the menu item when displaying calendars (and maybe other menu items?)

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago #120950 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
That's great. The options in Configuration is used as default behavior and we can override it on most of the menu items

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc