Anti-Spam Law compliance & Mail Chimp plugin

• James Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #118425 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Anti-Spam Law compliance & Mail Chimp plugin
Please let me know if I have just simply missed something in the event setup that allows this behavior to be toggled on or off at the event level!!

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #118427 by Donal

James Riley wrote: Just getting around to fixing this on my site.

To conform to Canadian laws, Canadian organizations need the user to provide "express consent" in order to legally add a user to their mailing list. On our registration form, this means that the user must NEVER be subscribed to our list be default, and that they must choose the "Yes, please add me" option in order for us to add them.

Would you please consider re-adding this to the core Event Booking package? All Canadian organizations are breaking the law unless this is re-enabled :(

I got a custom plugin developed (albeit for AcyMailing) to comply with GDPR, which sounds similar to the Canadian laws.

I need to send further transactional emails and texts (part of the product) beyond the emails that EB can send. I also needed Waiting list people to be on a separate list to registered people.

So, for each event, I have 2 lists which are configured within my event configuration:
1) "Location" Registered
2) "Location" Waiting List

As part of my form, people need to tick a checkbox that they understand and agree that they will receive these transactional emails and texts.

Additionally, I have 2 marketing lists
1) Email Newsletter
2) Text List

As part of a registration, users make 2 separate choices using radio buttons as to whether they want to receive marketing emails/texts from us in the future.

These are setup in the plugin. For each list, I input the List ID, a field from the registration form and a condition to match so that the user gets added to the list.

It works really well, and offers all of the required flexibility which I think EB needs to offer.

I paid a couple of hundred dollars for the customisation work, but I'm happy to share it here. Maybe Tuan would incorporate it into the core, as the current default solution definitely isn't sufficient (no distinction between transactional lists and marketing lists). I overpaid as I overestimated the work involved, but I reckon any competent PHP developer could make the plugin in a couple of hours.

Donal

More
5 years 5 months ago #118430 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Anti-Spam Law compliance & Mail Chimp plugin
Hello James

1. For your need, simply set Show subscribe to newsletters checkbox config option to Yes. Then the system will show a newsletter checkbox and only add users to mailing list if registrants checked on that checkbox

2. @Donal: I don't have time to look at it right now, but maybe you can share the plugin here if it's possible. If there are more customers interested in it, I can look at the code, improve it if needed and help maintaining it

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc