Show date range

• Martin Draeger
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #113287 by Martin Draeger
Show date range was created by Martin Draeger
Hello,

No what I have installed Event Booking, the main question I have is how can you display multiple event dates in the timline bubbles?

For example, it currently shows the start date but not the end date. We need to see 5-9 June, rather than 5 June.

Is there a way to do this?

Regards,

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #113290 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Show date range
You'll have to edit PHP code to do this, but it's really not all that hard to do. Assuming from your post that are wanting to adjust the "Timeline" layout:
1) Save a copy of /components/com_eventbooking/view/common/tmpl/events_timeline.php to /templates/YOUR-TEMPLATE/html/com_eventbooking/common/events_timeline.php so that changes you make will not be overridden at update. If folders do not exist, the create them.

2) Edit the file you just saved, and look for:
Code:
<div class="eb-event-date-day"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'd', null); ?> </div> <div class="eb-event-date-month"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'M', null); ?> </div> <div class="eb-event-date-year"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'Y', null); ?> </div>

3) The object variable that stores the event end date is $event->event_end_date . You'll need to incorporate this into this code block in whatever way you feel is best. You could do something like:
Code:
<div class="eb-event-date-day"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'd', null); // test if event_date day and event_end_date day are different if (JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'd', null) != JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'd', null)) echo '-' . JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'd', null); ?> </div> <div class="eb-event-date-month"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'M', null); // test if event_date month and event_end_date month are different if (JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'M', null) != JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'M', null)) echo '-' . JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'M', null); ?> </div> <div class="eb-event-date-year"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'Y', null); // test if event_date month and event_end_date year are different if (JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'Y', null) != JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'Y', null)) echo '-' . JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'Y', null); ?> </div>

The challenge with this implementation making the information readable when the event spans different months or years (as you can see in this sample):

You may also want to adjust the CSS that pertains to .eb-event-date (the border-radius values specifically), as well as the .eb-event-date-day, .eb-event-date-month, and .eb-event-date-year <divs>.
You may also want to re-do the layout (in the PHP file) so that you get 31 Oct on one line, and 06 Nov on a second line, for example:
Code:
<div class="eb-event-date-day"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'd', null); echo '<span class="eb-event-date-month">',JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'd', null).'</span>'; ?> </div> // test if event_date day and event_end_date day are different if (JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'd', null) != JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'd', null)) { ?> <div class="eb-event-date-day"> <?php echo '-',JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'd', null); echo '<span class="eb-event-date-month">',JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'd', null).'</span>'; ?> </div> <?php } ?> <div class="eb-event-date-year"> <?php echo JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'Y', null); // test if event_date month and event_end_date year are different if (JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'Y', null) != JHtml::_('date', $event->event_date, 'Y', null)) echo '-' . JHtml::_('date', $event->event_end_date, 'Y', null); ?> </div>

** Note: code is not tested... Hopefully it works, but there might be a typo or 2 that needs correcting...

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by James Riley. Reason: add screenshots, add the hyphen into the second code sample's 2nd ending date

More
5 years 11 months ago #113291 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Show date range
Really... it's not tooooooo hard :)

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.

• Martin Draeger
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #113292 by Martin Draeger
Replied by Martin Draeger on topic Show date range
Thanks a bunch for the very detailed answer, really appreciate that. It is so odd that event extensions don't already consider this. 3/3 of my customers asked if I can customize that specific item. I am thinking this should be part of the standard options.

Anyways, thanks again.

M

More
5 years 11 months ago #113308 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Show date range
Actually, that bubble only show starts date of the event. For both start date and end date information, as you can see, it's already shown at the right, so I am not sure if both the date should be shown in that small circle (I am afraid of there won't be enough space)

So for now, I will leave it as how it is. Please use the override which James proposed if you need it

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc