• Donal
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 7 months ago #117239 by Donal
Hi,

I just noticed something.

I have set up my venues with their name, a basic address and exact GPS coordinates. In the past, Get Directions gave directions to the pin on the map, which was located according to my GPS coords.

Now, however, the Get Directions functionality provides directions just considering the address part, meaning that a lot of the directions on my site were totally incorrect (wrong town in some instances)

I'm not sure if this is due to a recent google update or changes made on EB side.

I am fixing the issue by including the venue name in the address field, and ensuring I have the correct, complete address. However, this is not as effective as getting directions to the pin (GPS coords). For example, directions to my pin for a university building car park guided people practically to the best car parking space for them. Now, however, I can only guide them to the pin associated with the university on Google maps, which is the wrong building on the wrong side of the campus.

What are your thoughts on this, Tuan?

Thanks,
Donal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #117248 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Google Maps - Get Directions functionality
Hello Donal

1. In the current version, Yes, you need to enter full address into address field of the location

2. If the get direction link of a location is wrong, maybe you can give me sample:
- One is correct location link
- One is wrong location link (of that same location)

I will then try to check to see if there is something wrong, and correct it

Regards,

Tuan

• Donal
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 7 months ago #117261 by Donal
Replied by Donal on topic Google Maps - Get Directions functionality
It was much better before...

1) Now, you need to enter Name of Venue + Full Address
Before I had set up a venu as
Name: My Place Midleton
Address: Mill Road, Midleton
GPS: Coords chosen by me to match exactly where they should go. Directions gave directions to these coords.

Now, it needs to be setup as
Name: My Place Midleton
Address: My Place, Mill Road, Midleton (Directions only considers this field)
GPS: Coords chosen by me to match exactly where they should go

For some venues, somebody has setup the Google maps pin in the wrong place on Google maps. Despite me knowing this, with the new system, I can't actually guide people to the correct location.

A big issue with the new system is for large campuses, e.g. Mary Immaculate College: www.google.com/maps/place/Mary+Immaculat....652456!4d-8.6393577

The postal address from Google isn't how people should get to the venue for my events. With the old system, I was able to pin the exact entrance they should use to the campus, and direct them to the gate. Now, that is impossible.

Some venues supply their address on their site, e.g. www.castleknockcommunitycentre.ie/ lists their address as
Laurel Lodge Road
Castleknock
Dublin 15

However, directions leads somebody to a place 5 minutes away. If I just put the post code of the building into the address field, then the directions works, but is not human friendly. Ideally, I could leave the supplied address in, and get directions to the GPS coords.

If it's a change you have made, can you include an option:
* Get Directions to Address field
* Get Directions to GPS coords?

Regards,
Donal

• Donal
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #123620 by Donal
Hi Tuan,

this is still giving me issues, I'm afraid. Can you please give us the option to get directions to the GPS coords (as the system worked before) or else when you go to Google Maps, add the Location Name to the Address, so that I don't have to put the venue name in both fields.

Regards,
Donal

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #123629 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
I have to read your topic again on tomorrow (it's dinner time here now) but I didn't make any change to the system related to locations/get directions

The only changed here is from Google which requires you to have a valid API Key and provide billing address to use their geocoding service.

Tuan

• Donal
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #123631 by Donal
Hi Tuan,

I believe the change would have happened in August 2018. Up until August 2018, the get directions system worked perfectly.

I have Google all setup with API key and credit card details.

To see the issue, and inconsistent behaviour between embedded Google Maps and Get Directions Map, visit designerminds.ie/all-camps/junior-camps/...at-9am-junior-group/

Click on the location: Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne

The pin on the pop-up map correctly identifies the venue Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne with an address of Spa Road, Dingle, Kerry.

Click on Get Directions, and the pin is no longer correct, as Google has just been sent the address: Spa Road, Dingle, Kerry. The directions generated will no longer get you to the venue.

I understand that you might say that there should be a building number/post code to make the address complete, but for rural addresses, they are not normal.

In most instances, I can fix the issue by putting the venue name into both fields: Name and Address, but this can look very clunky, e.g. the confirmation email will say Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne (Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne, Spa Rd, Dingle, Kerry)

However, in some instances, somebody has marked the location of the venue incorrectly on Google Maps, so regardless of how correct my info is on EB, the customer will be sent to the wrong venue. I can only correct this issue by just putting in the post code into the address box.

In the past, Google always provided directions to the pin location as it is in EB, as I believe that EB sent the Latitude and longitude to Google. If we can revert to this, then I can always be sure that the customer will be directed to the correct location, in all instances.

Thanks,
Donal

• Donal
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #123733 by Donal
Hi Tuan,

have you had a chance to see this issue?

Thanks,
Donal

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #123741 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Donal

I'm sorry, not yet as I don't really know where to look at as there has been no changed to the code of the map/get direction for sometime

I will look at the post carefully and we can discuss further on tomorrow

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc