• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120792 by LAC Webadmin
All Day Event or No Time Specified was created by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

Is there a way to set an All-Day Event or No Time (Start or End) Specified in an event?

Thanks,

Jackson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #120800 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic All Day Event or No Time Specified
Hello Jackson

So exactly how an all day event should work? For an all dates event, maybe you should set start time to 00:00 and end time to 23:59 of the event day

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120840 by LAC Webadmin
Replied by LAC Webadmin on topic All Day Event or No Time Specified
Hi Tuan,

We are currently using JEvents and I am exploring Events Booking as a replacement since I think it has features that we want.

As for my inquiry, it just logical to let users know about the details of the event.
  • What if the event does not have start and end time? A full day event, how are you going to let people know so they can decide if they are going to attend or not?
  • What if the event does not have an End Time? Start time is supplied but the event can end anytime, how are you going to let people know about it?

Please don't tell me to put that in the event details, you know that a lot of people does not read details. Unfortunate but true. Since we're talking about an event, pointers like would be helpful when added to the date/time info section. For example:

The Greatest Show on Earth
Sunday, December 1, 2020 - 9:00 am
Full-Day Event

First line is the title, second is the date and time, third is what I am asking. If there's a check box in the event edit form that it is a full day event, that text will appear. But the start time can also be added so people knows that the event starts at this hour.

The Greatest Show on Earth
Sunday, December 1, 2020 - 9:00 am
No Specific End Time

Here's a screen capture of the UI:

monosnap.com/file/VwQA2IN71K38HLVo3BcL5PcnsouJtS

Thanks,

Jackson

More
5 years 3 months ago #120855 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

We don't have something like that at the moment. Currently, we allow you to setup event start date and event end date for each event

Event start date is required. For event end date, if you enter it, it will be displayed. If you don't enter it, the event end date will not be displayed

If you only select date leave time empty (00:00), then only date is displayed, not time

Tuan

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #120877 by Eoin Feeney
Replied by Eoin Feeney on topic All Day Event or No Time Specified
Jackson, you can easily do an override to remove the start date or end date. We are running face-to-face training, but some of it is online. In those instances we do not want a date at all.

What I did was an override which basically says
Code:
if ($item->main_category_id != '3') { // then don't show the date/time} else { // do show the date/ time }

Be aware that code is for an event view. Therefore the
Code:
$item->main_category
won't work for a module. For a module it's slightly different.

You should check that out. Also you could use custom fields to create the extra text you would like so it's in the same place every time, but if you do it the way I have suggested you could do another override

e.g. if category = 3 then show this text in this place.

Then just do
Code:
<?php echo JText::_('more_details'); ?>
and create a language string override in the backend of Joomla!

Of course it means they are all in the same category, but it made sense for me.

my code is extremely rough and untested. Please take it as a hint with a pinch of salt. Create your override and copy the code you find there to make sure it's correct.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Eoin Feeney.

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #120883 by LAC Webadmin
Replied by LAC Webadmin on topic All Day Event or No Time Specified
Hello!

Well, I guess it is override then :D I was thinking it could be a nice feature to have.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jackson

More
5 years 3 months ago #120909 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Yes, for this, if you want to change behavior, you will have to implement it using override.

Regards,

Tuan

More
5 years 3 months ago #121121 by Eoin Feeney
Replied by Eoin Feeney on topic All Day Event or No Time Specified
But almost every event has a start time. And although events may run over, they almost always have a target end time. Even an all day event usually has an end time or some sort of a program. If Tuan adds this as a feature then he would also have to add a function to define what an all day event is, like 9-5 or 8-6 or whatever. And then there would be people asking for the time to show up, so then he'd have to allow us to define whether it shows or not, and if it doesn't show should we add the text or not and if we're adding text what is the text.

I think an override works better because I don't think most people would have an all-day event without specifying an end time. And surely most people want to have a rough idea of when an event ends right?

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc