Next challenge - Confirmation e-mails - Subject Line

• Duke S.
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #127446 by Duke S.
An unexpected issue - The Admin confirmation emails all have an identical subject line and as a result, they are getting threaded by GMail.
The group has asked if the Buyer's name can be in the subject line so it is easier to find a particular confirmation.

The software is not setup to customize the Subject inside the Event email or handle merge fields in the subject line.
The email in question is the Administrator Confirmation for an Event Registration via Multi-member group checkout.
Are emails constructed with a view file? What am I looking for to try to solve this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #127453 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Next challenge - Confirmation e-mails - Subject Line
Hello

Try to use [FIRST_NAME] [LAST_NAME] tag in the subject and it should contain the name of the buyer

Regards,

Tuan

• Duke S.
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #127498 by Duke S.
Good suggestion, but the UI for most of the emails only allows editing of the email body. Subject is not a field. So, I'm guessing the subject comes from a language replacement string. With so many emails, I'm having trouble figuring out how these are organized to identify which file generates each particular email.

====

For a confirmation message rendered by the file /components/com-eventbooking/theme/default/complete/default.php
rendered with:
<div id="eb-message" class="eb-message" style="display:none;"><?php echo JHtml::_('content.prepare', $this->message); ?></div>
Where does this field get edited? I thought I correctly changed the message in the event that had matching content, but no joy.

More
4 years 8 months ago #127512 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Next challenge - Confirmation e-mails - Subject Line
Hello Duke

1. Subject should be editable, too. Could you please let us know the subject which you could not edit so that I can guide you?

2. For the message, you can go to Events Booking -> Emails & Messages, find and change it:

- Thank you message
- Thank you message (offline payment)

Regards,

Tuan

More
4 years 8 months ago #127524 by Sunil
Hi Tuan

Not sure if Duke is alluding to this.
If you go to messages under individual events there is no option for a subject line. You can only add the email body.

Regards
Sunil
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuan Pham Ngoc

More
4 years 8 months ago #127525 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Ah, maybe so. Please note that you only need to setup email messages for each event if you want to use a different email message for that specific event

The email messages in event edit screen, if entered, will override the email messages in Events Booking -> Emails & Messages section

Hope it's clear to you. And Yes, we only allow overriding email messages, not subject of the email in event setting

Tuan

• Duke S.
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #127527 by Duke S.
@Sunil You are correct, thank you for jumping in.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Duke S..

• Duke S.
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #127529 by Duke S.
A-ha moment!

This explains my difficulty. Having so many similarly named message and email boxes across different tabs, as a new user I was confused about exactly when each email was used. I get it that there is one for each permutation of checkout method and payment complete or not, and on-screen v. in email, but at the time I was new to the software and not having a flowchart to understand the logic, the many options were confusing.

So, to figure it out, I put a small phrase in each text box noting what tab it was on and what the label of the email or message was so I could identify which one to update as I posted test transactions. I had no idea that events-messages operated as overrides as opposed to just more stops along the process and yet another place with similar messaging fields instead of all of them in one place. As a result, I have been mostly working on the events messages because that is where any changes would appear in my results, hence no access to Subject from there and no clue there was access anywhere else.

I appreciate the logic of the design now that I understand it (yes, I did read the f'g manual, but didn't appreciate the logic of the design and extended workflow when I read it.) In a future release, a bit more explanation on the top of the Events-Messages tab would help future users understand "Everything on this tab is an event-specific override of the system-wide defaults set on the Configuration-Messages tab. All the same mergefields are also available." Similarly on the Configuration - Emails-Messages tab saying "Messages entered below are system-wide defaults that will be overridden if event-specific messages are placed within the Events-Messages tab."

Off to delete a whole bunch of accidental overrides so I can update subject and have the thank you message I wrote actually show up. Thank you for clearing my confused mental model of the software that caused several previous support requests.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Duke S..

More
4 years 8 months ago #127530 by Tuan Pham Ngoc

a bit more explanation on the top of the Events-Messages tab would help future users understand "Everything on this tab is an event-specific override of the system-wide defaults set on the Configuration-Messages tab. All the same mergefields are also available."

=> Will do.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc