integration acymailing and Membership pro

More
5 years 3 months ago #121179 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic integration acymailing and Membership pro
Hi David

You can go to Membership Pro -> Configuration, set Show subscribe to newsletters checkbox config option to Yes

By doing that, on subscription form, there will be a checkbox displayed asking users whether they want to subscribe to your newsletters

If they don't check on that checkbox, they won't be added to mailing lists and it would solve the concern

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Fletcher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #121391 by David Fletcher
Replied by David Fletcher on topic integration acymailing and Membership pro
Tuan

I have done as suggested but the check box is not appearing on the subscription manangment pages.
It is on the new application form, but I need to manage all the exisitng memberships.
Please, how can i tick the box for all of them?

David

More
5 years 3 months ago #121398 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi David

It's designed to allow members to agree to subscribe to newsletter, we don't allow admin to change that status for them, sorry

Tuan

More
5 years 3 months ago #121406 by David Fletcher
Tuan
I see also that members cannot change the setting later either on their profile.

I don't think this is a good way to go.

I suggest that there cannot be a lock down with settings that cannot be seen and changed. It also makes the news letter override ineffective, becasue if a member changes his mind, I cannot prevent the name being reinstated. This is against GDPR requirements.

I ask that you think about this again.

David

More
5 years 3 months ago #121407 by Elaine
Replied by Elaine on topic integration acymailing and Membership pro
Use a custom field instead. You can create a radio button to subscribe to a mailing list and you can use configurations in the custom field to view in Manage Subscriptions or users profile page.
Using this with AcyMailing which has a Membership-Pro add-on is the way to go. Takes a bit to work out how to configure everything, but works well when you have it up and running.

More
5 years 3 months ago #121408 by Elaine
Replied by Elaine on topic integration acymailing and Membership pro
I should also add that AcyMailing has a Joomla module where users can subscribe or unsubscribe to emails. It probably complies with the GDPR data laws in that when you add a tag to AcyMailing newsletters allowing readers to unsubscribe, it can take them to the page where they can unsubscribe from just one newsletter or all newsletters if you have more than one category.

More
5 years 3 months ago #121428 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
As Elaine mentioned, if you want to allow users to unsubscribe from Mailling Lists, better use ACYMailing Module. This is not something Membership Pro handles at the moment (and honestly, Membership Pro should not have to handle something like that as ACYMailing do it already)

Regards,

Tuan

More
5 years 3 months ago #121503 by David Fletcher
Elaine and Tuan
Thank you for your suggestions, but I am afraid this is not concluding for me.

I will explain.

I see several options but each one means a different compromise.

I am fortunate that I only send out one monthly new letter and the option is either yes or no. I am keen to maintain a valid email address and an Acymail list with those who opt out not included. I have done this for many years with CB and Acymail by generating a new list every month, based on Joomla Groups. This is easily generated with a few clicks when you have done it before, but is labour intensive and not delegatable. If there is a user who doesn’t want, I just cripple the email address in joomla and it does not get delivered. I would like to consider the unsubscribe option in Acy but need to get a proven system up and running first. For the moment I get compliance by tell members that they have the option is if they ask.
My hope was that I could use the MP database to generate the acy lists automatically and keep them up to date and separate from the full joomla core or MP database. I was rather disturbed to understand the MP does not synchronise email addresses with the Joomla core on admin changes. I had a bad moment with this and had to do extensive checks to make sure that our errors were corrected. This done and understanding the limitation it can be managed, but I think this needs to change going forward. When MP and Acy are using the Joomla Core, they must all have the same data to work with.

I see the MP custom field option for user choice, and have tested, and I can see this is a good way to go for multiple news letter options, but it has no benefit for me. It does not allow for automatic unselect for expired subscriptions, and so this has to be done manually. I then have to have records to remember the user options to put back on renewal and this is another unwanted manual task. So this solves one problem but gives back more. The good thing is that there are clear records on the profile and they can be managed by members and admin. There is a limitation that they only update Acy lists on a renewal event. Any other change has to be done manually.

The option to use the Acymail front end plugin also sounds attractive for multi letter users , but it does mean members using two systems. For me, neither of these offer improvement. I can use the back end access for acy more conveniently. My comment on unsubscribe options refers too.

The option of auto selection to two lists for active and expired looks very attractive and I am running on test now. I am getting system mails when subscriptions expire and members are moved from one list to another. All good. My concern was how to manage those who opt out. Tuan offers the solution using the GDPR option for a tick box in the application form and I like this. But this is of no use to me as the record of the tick is not available anywhere to admin or the member. I cannot manage a setting that no one can see or change. To stop a member getting mail, I can only cripple the email address as before. I can unsubscribe the member in Acy mail, but then I have records in two places that I cannot reconcile and this is not a good thing. I see Tuan’s comments on the role of Acy and I can see this for major email campaign users, but I am far from that and don’t want two systems unless absolutely justified.

In respect of the GDPR tick box I cannot set this up for existing members, and I cannot see and respond to members who want to change service. I think this is common factor with other GDPR settings, which are not available to admin. I find this not correct. Tuan, I asked about this but you ducked the question. Can you please respond? I do not think that the current arrangement is compliant, so I am not using GDPR from MP.

Then just this week I updated the Acymail plugin from v5 to v6. It failed to import the old lists and I have to regenerate them again. Just one of the things that happens and why users need admin access to all records so that we can do what is need to keep the business going when things go wrong. (I think I have seen a comment not to use v6 yet.)

I welcome comment and challenge to all that I have written.

David