Possible bug: email addresses being changed in some records

• Alan Henness
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #113371 by Alan Henness
I exported our membership list a few days ago and noticed that a number of them had the user's email address field changed to that of another member. Out of about 400 subscription records, about 30 had been changed to a different address (as it happens to that of our Treasurer, so it was easy to spot). This did not affect the linked joomla user's address.

These changes cannot have been made manually because the 'Re-type your email address' field still had the original email address and the record would not have saved because they do not match.

I have corrected these but now worry that this may happen again or that there may be other changes in the email field or other fields that I've not noticed. Some changes would be difficult to spot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #113386 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
To be honest, I have no clue why it happens. Unless it's changed manually somehow, I don't see how an email address of someone is used for another user

So unless you find a reliable way to re-procedure this issue, I am afraid of we could not check it

Regards,

Tuan

• Alan Henness
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #113410 by Alan Henness
I have no idea how or when it happened but it clearly has happened!

As I said, it can't have been changed manually because the mismatch between the two email fields would have prevented the change being saved.

More
5 years 10 months ago #113422 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
At least I don't know how it could happen with the core package and no-one reported strange issue like this before

Maybe it happens because you are having custom plugin or custom PHP script running and it causes the issue somehow?

Tuan

• Alan Henness
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #113430 by Alan Henness
There are no PHP scripts and all I have is acymailing that integrates with MP (ie there are other extensions but none should interact with MP).

A question: is it 100% safe to export all data to a spreadsheet, manipulate it there then import back into MP and over-write the data? Is anything at all lost doing this?

More
5 years 10 months ago #113433 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Yes. It should be safe. However, a good practice is that you should make a full backup of the site before doing that, just in case something goes wrong you can roll back

Regards,

Tuan