• Chris Jarvis
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #121964 by Chris Jarvis
Question about Custom Fields Radio Button was created by Chris Jarvis
Hello.

I have a question about Custom Fields that would be great to get help with please.

I have a custom field Radio button that offers 1 choice of a number of different values.

I set the values up a few years ago and I now need to change/rename one of them

I have one called 'Intern' that I now need to call 'Associate'.

My question is. If I simply change the value in the Radio button option through custom fields, will that make everyone that has Intern assigned to them from before, get changed to Associate or is it just for those people from after I make the change?

I am trying to work out if I will get a mix of people, some who are Intern and others who are Associate. I'm not sure if the radio button stores as a number per value or the actual text.

It's not a problem if I have to go and update all Intern's to Associate but just wanted to check my logic please

I have added a screenshot to show the value I want to change to Associate

Thanks as always for any help and support

Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #121994 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Question about Custom Fields Radio Button
Hi Chris

Unfortunately, if you change the value, the data for existing registrants won't be changed, so if you edit the registration record again, the option they selected before won't be selected and you will loose the data if you save it

So better, please don't change the value

Regards,

Tuan

• Chris Jarvis
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #122017 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Question about Custom Fields Radio Button
Thanks for the better understanding Tuan and it is no problem

My boss has instructed me that I need to change this value though very soon.

I've identified the people who are currently Intern through PHP MyAdmin with the following sql

SELECT * FROM `????_osmembership_field_value` WHERE `field_id` = 14 and `field_value` = 'intern'

Am I right in thinking I can update those values to 'Associate' with an update query and then if I change the value in the radio button options list by over typing Intern with Associate, new people or renewals and updates will then select 'Associate' and either overwrite their old value or get the new one added?

Will those updated to Associate show in the Radio button if the spelling matches the Custom Fields config?

I realise I will need to do both the update query and then the text change at the same time or else people could still get added at Intern if I don't change it.

Do you think this will work? I can try it on a backup restore though first so I am really happy you have explained how it works Tuan thanks

Chris
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Chris Jarvis.

More
5 years 2 months ago #122018 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Question about Custom Fields Radio Button
Yes. It should work. But you should make a backup of your site (or at least the database table first) so that in case something does not work as expected, you can rollback

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Jarvis

• Chris Jarvis
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #122021 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Question about Custom Fields Radio Button
Thanks Tuan

You're a legend! I'll give it a go!

Chris