Multiple translation problems

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #122031 by Seán
Multiple translation problems was created by Seán
The process of using Membership Pro with multiple languages is very confusing!

I have a site that uses Irish (ga-IE) and Australian English (en-AU) as the main languages. Users can choose a default language and switch languages at any time. This is the standard Joomla setup unless I’m mistaken.

In Membership Pro I have translated the interface, but on the subscription form several items are still in English when the language is set to Irish. It seems like only some of these can be translated through the Translation component, but some are linked to the individual field entries accessible in Field Manager (whose menu entry is confusingly called Custom Fields even though core fields are there too).

This is annoying, but would be OK except the only language that appears in the Translation tab in Field Manager is the default install language (en-GB) which is only used as a fall-back and can’t be deleted even though it’s not used in the interface and users can’t choose it as a language. Why don’t the actual content languages appear there?

The situation is the same for Email & Messages — only en-GB appears as a translation option. This doesn’t matter so much to me as I’d prefer to send bilingual e-mails (the site is about language learning). The messages, on the other hand, absolutely should be in the active Joomla language.

When I change the language to English (en-AU) the situation is much worse on the subscription form — most of the fields have no label at all! It seems that Membership Pro might be using its non-existent en-GB translation to name those fields. This suggests that the field names in Field Manager are assumed to be in Irish (ga-IE), so I should translate them there?

If I don’t create translated messages in en-GB and a user’s language is set to en-AU does that mean they will be the default messages or blank messages?

Also, maybe a minor point (someone else asked this 9 months ago), is there any way to translate the country names used in the subscription form?
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Seán.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #122047 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Multiple translation problems
Hello Sean

The translation section only allow translating some static language items. For the email messages, the messages displayed on subscription form..., it could not be translated via Translation section but in a different sections

Please read the instructions at membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/multilingual , it should contain everything you need to translate. Once translated, it should work well

For countries, I'm sorry, we still do not support translation yet

Tuan

More
5 years 1 month ago #122701 by Seán
Replied by Seán on topic Multiple translation problems
I eventually figured out what was happening with the Custom Fields. The defaults are assumed to be in the default language so I had to translate the custom field names to Irish. The tab with an English flag actually represented en-AU (Australian English) not en-GB (British English) so when I copied the original names of the fields to that tab they appeared on the English subscription page.

Very confusing and a perfect example of why it’s a bad idea to use flags to represent languages. Flags represent countries.

After using the Membership Pro Translate tab to translate the front end, it now gives me a 403 error when I try to look at anything apart from the Joomla install language (en-GB — which isn’t used). The files seem to have the same permissions as other language files (644), so I don’t know what’s causing it. I can still edit them by FTP, but it’s a little tedious.

More
3 years 7 months ago #136707 by John Kaminski
Replied by John Kaminski on topic Multiple translation problems
I am in the same boat as Sean. I cannot figure out how to allow my frontend members to choose a language to see. The only language that is visible on the translation page is en-GB and it will not let me select anything else. Is there somewhere I can get a tutorial on how to allow my members to choose a couple of other languages when they log in. Unfortunately, your multilingual documentation page is so full of your product's terminology that I cannot understand anything there.
John

More
3 years 7 months ago #136712 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Multiple translation problems
Hi John

What language users choose to use on your site, is not handled by Membership Pro. In case your site is a multilingual website, you can publish and use Joomla language switcher module to allow users to select the language they want to use on your site

It's handled by Joomla, not by Membership Pro.

Tuan