Memberships late in the year to include next year

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #87758 by intouchweb
We have memberships based on calendar years. So all memberships expire on 31st December, however, when new members join up after 1st October in any year we would like their membership to include the following year as well. What would be the best way to implement this? Do I need to manually change the 'Expired Date' field for each membership on the 1st October or is there a config setting available for this? If I change the expiry date would this apply to all existing members on those plans?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #87765 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Memberships late in the year to include next year
Hi

Yes. At the moment, you will need to change the expired date of the plan manually. If I were going to add a setting, what do you think it should be the title of the setting?

Also, I am thinking about adding support for something called pro-rate. The idea is that the later user subscribe, the less price they have to pay. Maybe based on remaining months or remaining days. Do you have experience with that kind of feature and can suggest me how it should work?

Tuan

More
7 years 6 months ago #87786 by Jonathan Colls
Replied by Jonathan Colls on topic Memberships late in the year to include next year
Just some ideas for these functions:
What about "Next Calendar Year" Trigger. I can only imagine that this applies for calendar years and the setting would need to specify how many days in advance the next calendar year is added to the subscription. So for example if I have it set to 60 days. If I purchase a subscription in November or December I automatically get the following year added to my subscription.

And for Pro Rata (note RATA)
I like the sound of this feature but it could get quite messy for the end user to understand what is going on. The easiest way is to work it out by % of the remaining period left. The admin would choose if they want to pro-rata by Days or months and the system would then work out how many days/month are left and work out the remaining price using the original plan price for the full term.

If I needed this functionality I would probably just offer another plan but for a shorter period length (slightly more expensive though). Which they can subscribe to for the remaining of the year and then sign up for the full period when it makes sense to.

Just my 2p though - great that you are constantly thinking of new developments for this great component.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuan Pham Ngoc

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #87807 by intouchweb
Replied by intouchweb on topic Memberships late in the year to include next year
Tuan,
Maybe you could call it "New Member Bonus Period" or perhaps "Free Renewal Period" as this is probably how we would describe it when marketing it to prospective members eg we would say something like "Join now and receive membership benefits for the rest of this year FREE" or "Join now and receive a free renewal for next year"
We would need to be able to specify how many "Days left to Expiry Date" for the new members bonus to become applicable, eg New Member Bonus applies when plan is less than ** xx days ** to expiry (where value xx days can be input) and that would instantly give them a renewal.
Jonathon, it does apply to Calendar years in my case, BUT all possibilities need to be covered, some might have other fixed periods.

Tuan, Jonathon is correct the term you mean is called 'pro-rata'.
I personally prefer the bonus period concept from a fixed date, but if you are getting requests for the pro-rata charges that may also be worthwhile as it is definitely a fair way to charge. But I agree wth Jonathon that it would get messy. If I join a 2016 plan in late December my plan is almost immediately due for renewal, that's why I prefer giving them the bonus renewal instead.
Hope this helps

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #98949 by intouchweb
Replied by intouchweb on topic Memberships late in the year to include next year
Tuan, has this feature been implemented yet? I have another customer requiring the same feature, their yearly memberships work on the financial calendar, expiring on 30th June each year. They want all payments made xx days before the expiry date to include the following year. I believe this would be a very common situation and a great feature to add (if you haven't added already).

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 10 months ago #98991 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Memberships late in the year to include next year
No, not yet. Let's add it to version 3.0.0 development, then. If anyone has nice ideas/features requests, please help submitting in in features wishlist forum www.joomdonation.com/forum/membership-pr...tures-wish-list.html . I will go though every request on that forum and if it good, I will add support for it (might not directly in 3.0.0 but during 3.x series). I keep working to get it better, so suggestions to improve the extension is always welcomed

Regards,

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: intouchweb