External MySQL DB and/or Mailchimp syncing.

• Ingmar Guillaume
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #125176 by Ingmar Guillaume
External MySQL DB and/or Mailchimp syncing. was created by Ingmar Guillaume
Hi all (and admins),

I have a question on filling membership pro tables (and thus Joomla user tables) with external data (and syncing them back).
First some explanations:

We are managing membership of our club through an external program linked to a MySQL DB. This DB contains, besides name and email, a certain number of extra fields, like which courses people follow, what status they have, whether they are trainers, fixed mebers or students, etc...

I'm exporting the fields in this DB to Mailchimp for newsletter integration. Certain emails get send out to specific people based on those fields which are used to create segments in mailchimp.

We do NOT want users to subscribe through our website. So only the program that we are currently using will be the main input of the data.

======================================
Now the question:

We want users to have access to specific documents in eDoCMan based on them belonging to certain groups. Those groups need to be updated from the fields of the MySQL DB.

I noticed that syncing TO Mailchimp is pretty easy. But what we want is actually the reverse: We want to sync FROM Mailchimp (or a MySQL DB) and create, delete or update users in Joomla from these.

E.g.: if a user is deleted in teh MySQL DB, he/she should also be deleted from the Joomla users.

=======================================

Is this possible (hopefully, because I bought both programs, ;-) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #125181 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic External MySQL DB and/or Mailchimp syncing.
Hello Ingmar

As I can see, it's not possible. If you delete users from your database somehow, you will have to write some code to delete the users from Joomla

There is no way for it to be linked automatically as you described

Tuan

• Ingmar Guillaume
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #125207 by Ingmar Guillaume
Replied by Ingmar Guillaume on topic External MySQL DB and/or Mailchimp syncing.
Thx Tuan,

Is it possible to import MORE than just name and email through CSV import?

If not, wouldn't that be a very interesting addition (even with to the letter field matching).

More
4 years 10 months ago #125209 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

Actually, you can import any fields you want into the system. name and email are just basic information, you need more fields to run the import

Regards,

Tuan

• Ingmar Guillaume
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #125214 by Ingmar Guillaume
Replied by Ingmar Guillaume on topic External MySQL DB and/or Mailchimp syncing.
Thx Tuan for the quick reply,

do the names have to match or is there a "match this to that" option (sorry, haven't gone through all the docs)? And do these joomla fields need to be defined upfront?

More
4 years 10 months ago #125230 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello

I would suggest you to read documentation at membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/subscr...t/import-subscribers and give it a try

Beside name, you need to provide other information as well such as username, email, plan, from_date, to_date... of the subscription

Try to import few subscriptions and you should understand how it works (For name, there is no match option, it will be imported as how you enter it in the Excel/CSV file)

Regards,

Tuan