Best way to cancel member?

• CJ Gilbert
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #97827 by CJ Gilbert
Best way to cancel member? was created by CJ Gilbert
hello,

I've been searching the forums, the docs, and trying a few things in the back-end MemPro control panel wondering...
What is the best way to cancel a member?

We have two plans, a 1-pay and a 2-pay, both with unlimited lifetime access.
...yet, when someone does wish to cancel, how best to do this?

Especially if they are on the two pay, and wish to cancel before their second payment goes through...?

(I know we have to refund via Paypal, and that's outside your control.)

-- Looks like we're only using the regular Paypal payment, not PRO, so it isn't part of the "User Profile" screen.
-- I found I can change the user's status to "Cancelled" etc under Subscription, but that doesn't prevent them from still logging in and seeing the material.
-- I can edit the user and manually remove them from the "Subscribers" user group, and that restricts access, with a generic 403 message. ...but isn't ideal.
-- Likewise, I can edit the plans to remove that user group on expire, but that's probably not the same thing as myself manually cancelling them.
-- I can block the user, and that doesn't allow access, but then they probably can't resubscribe in the future, right?

So... what is the best option / work flow to cancel a user, have it restrict access, while still allowing them to resign up in the future, and provide the best user experience along the way?

Thanks so much!
Talk soon,
__Cj
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by CJ Gilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #97847 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Best way to cancel member?
The first question is the plan is one time or recurring subscription plan? Let me know and I will guide you with further instructions

Tuan

• CJ Gilbert
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #97849 by CJ Gilbert
Replied by CJ Gilbert on topic Best way to cancel member?
I have two plans, one of each.

Thank you!

More
6 years 11 months ago #97850 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
OK. So:

1. For one time subscription, it is simple. You just need to go to Membership Pro -> Subscriptions, find that subscription record, edit it, change the subscription status to Expired (or Cancelled if you want), save it

2. For recurring subscription, it is difficult. You will first need to login to your PayPal account, cancel that recurring subscription. Then do the same with step #1 above

If after subscription is marked as expired, users still be allowed to access to restricted resources, then I am afraid of the way you setup restriction for your resource is wrong. What user groups are allowed to access to these restricted resources?

Tuan

• CJ Gilbert
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #97859 by CJ Gilbert
Replied by CJ Gilbert on topic Best way to cancel member?
Yes, I understand the steps as you have outlined.

In addition...
I created a new user group "Subscribers" into which the users are placed after successful payment.
(I'm sure I would only have set it up this way after reading it in either your docs or the forum here.)

So, in that case, I assume I would also need to use the option to have them removed from said user group upon expire.
...but i'm thinking that doesn't work when i'm manually making their status expired. ...this would only trigger upon reaching the pre-set expiration date, as originally set by the plan chosen. Correct?

Thanks again,
__cj

More
6 years 11 months ago #97922 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
That's not correct. If you edit the subscription record, change the status from Active to Expired, save it. Then the remove will be triggered right away

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: CJ Gilbert