PayPal IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS

• Dan Danch
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #100365 by Dan Danch
Hi All --

PayPal's upcoming update for IPN to HTTPS is this Friday, 06/30, and I know this issue has been discussed on other posts but I did not see a complete update on the issue. It was mentioned that updates for all products would be made and released prior to 06/30. So I just want to verify that 2.9.0 for Membership Pro is updated to reflect the necessary changes for the IPN update? I did not see this specifically noted in the release notes, so I wanted to ask here.

For reference, this was discussed here (and maybe other posts): www.joomdonation.com/forum/joom-donation...-to-https.html#94485

Thanks!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Dan Danch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #100376 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic PayPal IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS
Hello Dan

There is no changed is needed as IPN Post Back in all of our extensions are HTTPS already (it is working like that from beginning). Also, this requirement doesn't mean that your site needs to be in HTTPS, your site doesn't require an SSL certificate to work with PayPal Pro

Regards,

Tuan

• Dan Danch
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #100381 by Dan Danch
Replied by Dan Danch on topic PayPal IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS
Hi Tuan --

Thanks for your quick response. So just to make sure this is absolutely clear - I am using Membership Pro 2.1.1 currently, so you are saying nothing needs done for everything to operate ok after June 30th? Your answer now contradicts what you said in the post from last year I referenced so I want to double-check nothing is needed. (Yes, I know I should update anyway, but my site works great and I don't want to break anything.) Also, the email PayPal sent to me about the updates specifically says my site requires an update, I have attached a screenshot to this reply. Also yes I was already aware I don't need an SSL certificate, I am using PayPal Standard.

More info on this update is here from PayPal: www.paypal-knowledge.com/infocenter/inde...916&viewlocale=en_US
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Dan Danch.

More
6 years 9 months ago #100399 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Dan

Yes. I can confirm that if it works OK now, it should continue working fine. I guess PayPal not only notify you, they are notifying everyone uses PayPal payment system

Regards,

Tuan

• Dan Danch
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #100418 by Dan Danch
Hi Tuan --

Thanks again for your reply. I'm sorry to continue to question this, but I am still confused on exactly what occurred with this issue. This is very important and could cause severe problems for my site so I just want to understand what happened. Could you please explain what happened with this from your original reply last year in that other thread versus what you are saying now? So did you think one thing last year when you said all extensions would need updated, and then looked at it again now this year and determined nothing needed done?

More
6 years 9 months ago #100419 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
I was wrong about the Postback to HTTPS. Now, I looked at it again and confirm that there is no change needed

However, if you are using old version of Membership Pro, there might be some case, payment is made but subscription is not update automatically to Active.

That's because PayPal, sometime, sends IPN message to wrong URL (it just send to domain.com/index.php?option=com_osmembership instead of domain.com/index.php?option=com_osmember...task=payment_confirm as requested by Membership Pro)

It sometime happens (look like a bug in PayPal system somehow) and we addressed it before by adding some code to Membership Pro

That's why I said before that if it is working OK now on your site, it will continue working well

Regards,

Tuan

• Dan Danch
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #100421 by Dan Danch
Ok sounds good, thanks so much for explaining. I was aware of the other weird PayPal IPN issue you mentioned, I'm pretty sure I have not seen that happen with my site, which is good.

There is something else I wanted to ask about for IPN. I have noticed on many posts your comment about IPN that it needs to be set to "enabled" in the PayPal account. Mine is set to "disabled", however my site works ok - I get payment and a subscription is created in MP like normal. However, I noticed if I login to my PayPal account and then open a new tab and go directly to the URL www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-ipns-history , that page does show a history of IPN messages sent for my account. I just thought this behavior was odd and wondered if you have seen this? You can see in my attached screenshot at the top it says "disabled", yet shows an IPN history.
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #100422 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Ignore that one. PayPal has it OFF by default, but still send IPN message

They only have it actually disabled if the IPN message was sent, but the IPN URL could not process it (for example, something blocks it or there is error in the code of IPN URL)

That's something odd as you said, but that's how PayPal works

Tuan

• Dan Danch
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #100423 by Dan Danch
Thank you so much Tuan, you are amazing and your products are amazing! Thank you!