All questions about EDocman extension

Hide Categories

• kona333
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #36802 by kona333
Hide Categories was created by kona333
Is it possible to hide categories if a user doesn't have permission to it?

My website has almost 100 categories. Most users may only have access to one category so it's very confusing for users to see every category and subcategory including how many files are in those categories, only for the file name to be blanked out when they get there. They won't know which categories they belong to and can download from.

Also, I'm getting errors when trying to save, particularly Categories. It lags for a while then in Chrome just brings up a server error page, in IE brings up a popup saying "A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." In most cases the save fails, but did work once. Any ideas?

I'd update to the latest version but my subscription just ran out, so I want to make sure categories can be hidden before purchasing again.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: aubenefit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kona333
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #36805 by kona333
Replied by kona333 on topic Re: Hide Categories
Actually, nevermind the error when saving categories. It seems as if it was a plugin conflicting with edocman. Not sure what one though.

Definitely still need to get the categories not showing for non-permission users though, if you can help there :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #36807 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Hide Categories
Hi

EDocman has a feature allows you to assign a category for certain users (you can select the users you want to be able to access to that category and only these users can access to it-same for documents).

Basically, when you create a new category/document, you will see a field called User Ids. You can then click on Select Users button and choose the users you want to be able to access that category. Have you try it yet ? Maybe it is not available because you are using an old version ?

Tuan

• kona333
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #36811 by kona333
Hmmm no that button doesn't exist for me. I see the User ID field, but that's not really user friendly for my setup:
The way I've got it setup is I have for instance 100 categories.

For each category I have a user group, again 100. It's not very efficient having to setup both a group and category, but the reason it's like this is because then when I create a new user all I have to do is tick each user group that they belong to, which are all in a list. Under permissions for the category, I just have 'download' set to allow for the equivalent user group. Unfortunately Joomla doesn't seem to have a 'view' permission.

So they may belong to 30 different groups, of which I can tick all at once on the user screen. Doing it your way, I have to manually open 30 different categories adding them individually to each category, which is very time consuming when you have 100's of users.

The problem is while the user can't download any files in any category they don't have permission for, they CAN still view the category and file names. I need these to be hidden.

Is that possible? If not, how much would it cost to make it possible?
Or doing it a different way, could there instead be Users tab under edocman where each user has a page that lists all the categories they belong to, exactly the same way the built in Joomla users page does it with user groups (and how much would that cost?). That way I could do away with all the user groups.

More
10 years 6 months ago #36813 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

In Joomla, the access field is used as "View" permission. So maybe for each group, you can create a new access level for that group.

And then edit the category, choose that access level (corresponding to the group) for that category. By doing that, only users from that group can view the category.

Does it work ?

Tuan

• kona333
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #36814 by kona333
There doesn't appear to be a 'view' access level/permission. Create, Delete, Edit, Edit State, Edit Own, Download.... but no View.

Seems strange that there isn't one, but I guess view is managed from the item itself, rather than the group.

More
10 years 6 months ago #36816 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
As I mentioned, "view permission" is handled via access field of each item. Could you please try the steps below :

1. Go to Users -> Access Level -> Add new access level. Choose the group you want for that access level

2. Edit the category, set "Access" field of the access level which you just created in #1.

3. Now, when you go to front-end, you will see that the above category (which you edit in step #2) can only be viewable by the group/groups which you choose in step #1.

That's how "View" permission is handled in Joomla. Could you please try ?

Tuan

• kona333
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #36818 by kona333
But if I have 100 categories, and 100 user groups for each category, won't that mean I'll then need to create 100 different access levels, one for each category?

That's going to get too messy for the average user (this website isn't for me, it's a for a customer and it's already too complicated having to create a user group for every category).
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by kona333.

More
10 years 6 months ago #36844 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Sorry. Been busy all day today to setup my new laptop and could not think more about this requirement. If you have a Skype account, please contact me. My Skype nickname is tuanpnves. I will be available to discuss about this requirement with you on tomorrow!

Tuan

• kona333
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #36963 by kona333
I might keep missing you on skype - different timezones and sometimes I forget to turn it on.

But what I'm thinking might be best if you were to build a new feature into edocman, and I can pay you for it?

It would work as follows.
At the moment in Joomla you can go to a User and under 'Assigned User Groups', tick next to all the groups they belong to.
I'd like edocman to work the same way. So I imagine there would need to be a new tab under edocman called users, which lists all users which you can then click one and have a list of edocman categories and put a tick next to those they belong to.

So then I could do away with all the joomla user groups I'd setup, and also it would fix the problem of categories still showing to public.

How much would that cost, if you're able to do it?

Moderators: Mr. Dam