All questions about EDocman extension

Additional categories

• pixpro
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #72751 by pixpro
Additional categories was created by pixpro
When editing a document in Edocman version 1.7.2 backend, there is a field for "Additional categories". Could you tell me what this is for? Can you give me any examples of how to use this?

How I expect it to work
  • A document can have multiple categories it belongs to (like Joomla tags)
  • I can see the document listed under all the categories the document belongs to (like Joomla tags)
  • I can choose to list documents using multiple categories and combine them using ALL or ANY of the chosen categories (like Joomla tags)

How I experience it to work
  • A document can have multiple categories it belongs to
  • I can see the document listed under all the categories the document belongs to... in the frontend, but not in the backend...[/i]
  • I can only choose to list documents using a single category and have no possibility to combine multiple categories - Major bummer!

If we could have a menu item type that allows us to choose multiple categories to list documents from, and a choice of how to combine these categories using ALL or ANY, the additional categories would be great! One use for this would be if you have multiple nested repeated categories, like a bunch of categories A - Z that all had subcategories Type I / Type II. Then, you could just set up all categories A - Z as siblings, along with ONLY ONE category each of Type I / Type II. In the Category layout menu item type, you would then just choose category A + Type I and select ALL for the view to list documents that are in BOTH categories. No need to repeat 2 x 20-some subcategories..

This could be achieved using tags or custom indicators as well, but neither of those are available for combining in the menu item types in Edocman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #72758 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Additional categories
Hi pixpro

As you can see, EDocman allow you to assign one document to multiple categories. After that, when you access to one of the selected category (from categories list page or when you create a menu item to display documents from a category), the document will be displayed

Does it make sense now ?

I think how you want it to work is too complex and for now, it is not supported by our EDocman extension. And to be honest, I don't think we can have it implemented in EDocman in the near future.

We might support Joomla core tags in the future. However, even if we support Joomla core tags, I think Joomla core tags also doesn't support the combination you expected

Regards,

Tuan

• pixpro
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #72858 by pixpro
Replied by pixpro on topic Additional categories
Thank you for your answer. I understand your thinking behind the multiple categories; showing the same documents on multiple pages. That will require a unique category for each "selection" though.

The way tags in Joomla works, you can get these selections using combinations of tags, or categories would it be Edocman. This means a lot less categories for the same amount of selections. And, Joomla tags actually already work like that, please see attached screens.

I do understand that this will be a too large change for it to be released anytime soon, but I look forward to the future releases of your extension!

Regards,
team Pixpro

Attachments:

Moderators: Mr. Dam