All questions about EDocman extension

Flexicontent integration

• othbert
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #83454 by othbert
Flexicontent integration was created by othbert
Hi there,
I'm tasked with producing a site using Joomla! and have purchased the EDocman plugin in order to leverage the PDF Indexing and ACL restricting qualities with regard to files.
The other major component of the site will be using the Flexicontent CCK features to generate content "sections" which stitched together in a category will allow the owners to create pages with several mixed content views.

The issue I'm discovering is that EDocman uses it's own categorisation system and therefore I cannot create a link to an EDocman category within the flexicontent CCK.

I searched both forums but could not find anyone having asked a similar question before, which surprised me a little considering the popularity and years of development behind both components.

What works would be to create a module containing the desired EDocman category, then link to it in a flexicontent field, as there is the ability to integrate them in flexi's items. This however has the problem that a new module would have to be created for each individual EDocman category that was created, automatically with a plugin (or manually, by non-technical users, so not viable). This also means cluttering up the system with a bunch of modules that are only used in one particular place and probably not the intended function of modules at all really.

So what appears to be the most straightforward idea so far is to create a new custom field plugin for flexicontent, which will allow me to select an EDocman category to be passed to the front end, where the templates will generate the desired layout inline with the rest of the flexicontent output.

Before I start on that, I'm just wondering if there are any other suggestions, or ways to link EDocman categories to standard Joomla! categories directly in a 1:1 or many:many mapping? Failing that, if by some miracle someone else has needed this and created a flexicontent or EDocman plugin to integrate the two components I'd love to take a look!

Thanks for the great software!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Mr. Dam