All questions about EDocman extension

Two Download notifications

• arcascomputing
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #83869 by arcascomputing
Two Download notifications was created by arcascomputing
I'm currently trying out EDocman and it's working well so far, however one thing I've noticed is that I have public documents set to require the user's name and email address to be provided, then an email is sent with their download link.

What happens is that i first get an email saying that someone has requested the download (with the name they entered) and this appears in the download link too. If the user then clicks to download the document from the email they received then we get another notification saying that GUEST has downloaded, and the same entry is in the logs.

So it looks like it's recording the initial request (before they have actually clicked on the link) with the details they entered and then recording it again when they click on the link (at which point the details they have entered are gone and so it's just recording GUEST).

It's not a huge issue but is there a way to just record one of these? Is it intentional (ie to record the request and whether they actually downloaded it) or just a bug?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83891 by Mr. Dam
Replied by Mr. Dam on topic Two Download notifications
Hi,
In this case, we don't think this is the bug. When user fill the form and click submit, Edocman will know his (her) name to inform with administrator. But if user click on the link to download documents directly, Edocman won't able to know customer name. And it will inform the GUEST download the specific document.
Maybe the solution isn't reasonable in some cases, but we don't have other solution for this problem.
Thanks
Dam

• arcascomputing
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #83892 by arcascomputing
Replied by arcascomputing on topic Two Download notifications
Hi Dam

Thanks for the response.

Would it maybe be sensible for the log to record the request to download the document and then replace this with the actual download when they click on the link in the email, rather than recording both? That way we'd know if people are requesting the document but not downloading and there would also only be one log entry for each request?

Does the link in the email contain some sort of unique identifier for each request that could be matched up so that the system can identify that the original request and then the click to download are related?

• arcascomputing
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #83893 by arcascomputing
Replied by arcascomputing on topic Two Download notifications
By the way I should just say how impressed I am with the extension as a whole, I tried out several document download managers, some of them more expensive than yours, but we are opting to go with yours as it fits the bill the best.

Moderators: Mr. Dam