All questions about EDocman extension

Edocman 1.25.4 not indexing

• bestcons
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #165337 by bestcons
Edocman 1.25.4 not indexing was created by bestcons
Today I installed Edocman 1.25.4 (although the Control Panel still indicates that the Installed version 1.25.3 is). Now the indexer fails, reporting that permission is denied (see attachment). The permission in: -> plugins -> edocman -> indexer -> binaries -> linux -> pdftotext is set to 777.
Please advice.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by bestcons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165341 by Mr. Dam
Replied by Mr. Dam on topic Edocman 1.25.4 not indexing
Hi,
First of all, we have just fixed the issue with version number showing after installing Edocman 1.25.4, you can redownload and install latest Edocman package to get the problem resolved.
Come back to our problem, the issue (as your screenshot) appears on Joomla Smart Search result. In this case, you will need to do below works
1. Make sure your pdf files are indexed successfully, no permission errors appear.
2. Run indexing in Joomla Smart Search again to update Edocman content in Joomla Smart Search database.
After that, you can try to test the search function and see the result.
Thanks
Dam

• bestcons
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165375 by bestcons
Replied by bestcons on topic Edocman 1.25.4 not indexing
I indeed need to re-index. With previous updates I never had to do this. What happend to the index information of the previous version?
I have thousands of documents which according to your suggestion have to be individually manually indexed. Please advice.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165377 by Mr. Dam
Hi Bestcons,
If you know one specific document has error in indexed content, you can re-index it by clicking on the icon in column: Indexed content of documents management page (Backend of Edocman), but you still need to run indexing from Joomla Smart Search to update Edocman content. After that, you can search through content of Edocman extension from frontend side.
Thanks
Dam

• bestcons
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #165378 by bestcons
You surprise me. I use the Joomla 3 search module and plugin 4.1.0, even in Joomla 5. Never did any indexing via the Joomla smart search. I don't need to index the Joomla content, just the pdf files, for which I use Edocman. When I import in Edocman documents (in batch), I did the indexing, confirmed via  the green tick marks. That's all.
After the 1.25.4 update all the tick marks confirm that the documents are still indexed. What has been changed?
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by bestcons.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165379 by Mr. Dam
Hi Bestcons,
The screenshot you sent in this topic is the Search result of Joomla Smart Search, right? If yes, you need to run indexing in Joomla Smart Search. If you use Edocman Search module, you won't need to worry about this step.
Thanks
Dam

• bestcons
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165386 by bestcons
Hi,

I use the Joomla search module and the Edocman search plugin. As indicated earlier in Edocman 1.25.4 re-indexing is required, which was not the case in earlier versions.
To show this, I have added 2 attachments. The first shows the Edocman Documents page, all having a green tick mark. The search phrase is "Kronyck". Kronyck 1983 was re-indexed. The search result is shown in the second attachment. Kronyck 1983 is correct, the others show an error.
Attachments:

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165390 by Mr. Dam
Hi,
From Documents management list, if you open those documents and look at tab: Indexed content, you can see the whole content of documents. It means you don't need to re-index those documents anymore.
But you will still need to run indexing in Joomla Smart Search. Here is the documentation: joomtechsolutions.com/joomla-tutorials/h...rt-search-in-joomla/
Thanks
Dam

• bestcons
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165446 by bestcons
Hi,

Our website contains thousands of pictures ("products"), managed by Virtuemart. Virtuemart has no Smart Search, so it has to be done with their search module. Hence I use the "traditional" Joomla search module, both for Articles and "Products". For pdf scanned documents I use Edocman, also on the basis of the search plugin
So you can imagine that the suggestion to do the indexing via the Joomla Smart Search, creating a huge database of "unnessecary" information, except for de pdf files, is not all all attractive. Unfortunately the Joomla Smart Search does not offer a "pdf only" setting.
What strikes me is that up till Edocman 1.25.3 the indexing was stable with every update and my question is whether this could be re-introduced, possibly as an option in the settings.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #165448 by Mr. Dam
Hi,
Here is the way to index content in Joomla Smart Search automatically: docs.joomla.org/Setting_up_automatic_Smart_Search_indexing
Thanks
Dam

Moderators: Mr. Dam