Filtering by Category, Location and Time range

More
8 years 6 months ago #69945 by RH
We have just updated our support contract for an other year and stated to use all the great features on our website to organize our work. So far I'm impressed, congrats for the product. I would like to propose some features that would greatly help us, but I believe that would be useful for other users, too. Before that I would like to give some background how we are using the component so it will be easier to see the use-cases:

We are running a website where we are offering 8 week courses (two types) on different locations. Courses are started on average every 8-9 weeks. Similarly named courses can even start on the same date (but on a different location). Each location has a "manager" who administrates the events and registrations for that place. Managers need to administrate their events from the frontend (no backend access for them).

I've been able to mostly configure what we need, but at certain points we are stuck. The most important point:

- As we are using several locations in parallel we are setting up separate event calendars and event lists for the different locations. We run into the issue, that for most of the components and modules it is not possible to filter the content by location and/or category. Certain components give basic (single category filtering) and the "Upcoming events" module even allows you to filter for multiple categories (providing their IDs). I'm suggesting implementing the following filtering in all components and modules (i.e. calendars, event lists, my submitted events etc):

- Filtering by Location (preferably multiple locations in OR relation)
- Filtering for multiple Categories (again the categories are OR-ed)
- Filtering for date range

The multiple Location and Category filter could use the same control as the one used in the custom fields screen, but I would be fine also if I have to specify the comma separated IDs as it is used in the upcoming events module.
As for the date range filter it could use two numbers (start,stop) specified in days and show only events in the range of (current date + start and current date + end). This would allow specifying something like -14 for start and 56 for stop, so an admin could see their events from the past two weeks and the next 8 weeks. We need these filters mostly keep the current events in focus for administration otherwise people got overwhelmed because we tend to add all our courses well in advance for a year or so.

- Some additional goodies: because we run events with the same name and dates on different locations it would be great to have an config option in the backend to attach also the event location to the event names in the filter combo box of the Registrants List frontend page. (there is an option for adding the date which is great, but would be helpful to have the location additionally). On the Registrants List screen I would love to see also a Location filter combo, and a time range filter combo containing All, Hide past events, Show only events in the defined range (see the range definition filer above). Setting these Location, Category and Time filters would actually filer the contents of the Event Filter Combo box.

- I would love to see the same filtering capabilities on the Own events list (currently only category filtering is possible) + would love to see a cross link from the #Registrants field to the Registrants list screen showing the actuall events reg list by setting the filter parameters. (The same way how it is implemented in the backend on the dashboard screen)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to describe the issue thoroughly. Our only showstopper problem is the missing possibility of location filtering in Calendars, and the upcoming events module. The rest would be "nice to have" :)
Rudolf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #71284 by Devin Vail
Replied by Devin Vail on topic Filtering by Category, Location and Time range
Filtering events by location or date would be amazing. Thumbs up!

More
7 years 9 months ago #84989 by mucho69
Want that too :)

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc