SEO duplicate-content

• Guenter
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #80724 by Guenter
SEO duplicate-content was created by Guenter
I just installed EB and found EB is producing duplicate content.
That means such pages will not rank very good in Google.
I found this also on your Demo site.

An easy way to find duplicate content is to use Google. Just take a piece of text content from your site and put it “in quotes” as a search in Google. Google will tell you how many pages that piece of content it found on pages in its index of the web.
I did this with text
"Not registered for the entire conference but want to attend Friday night Gala event?" from your site joomdonationdemo.com
and found 4 pages with various URLs and with the same event.
joomdonationdemo.com/eventbooking/conferences-and-meetings/gala
joomdonationdemo.com/eventbooking/other-...es-and-meetings/gala
joomdonationdemo.com/eventbooking/calend...es-and-meetings/gala
joomdonationdemo.com/eventbooking/events...es-and-meetings/gala

Here you will find more info to duplicate-content
moz.com/learn/seo/duplicate-content
support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

Do you have plans to change this, so EB will not produce duplicate content?

regards
Günter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #86711 by tonis
Replied by tonis on topic SEO duplicate-content
Hi, I discovered exactly the same problem.

I bought the application, because I thought, when you write in the component description that it has "sef/seo optimization", such basic thing as duplicate urls will be covered, but it is not. :dry:
If I add the event in more categories - one event has duplicate urls
If I add more menu items, lets say calendar and category list - one event has duplicate urls
If I go to the same event from different menu items - one event has duplicate urls

This could be fixed with simple canonical url for the events, with their default category - the user may see other urls, but search engine knows the main url (the same for the sharing on social media)

This is a big minus for the application
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by tonis.

More
7 years 7 months ago #86716 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic SEO duplicate-content
Hi

This is actually, a limitation of Joomla core routing system. Basically if you have two menu items for example, one link to calendar view of Events Booking and one two upcoming events of Events Booking, then we will have duplicate URLs as you can see

Adding canonical url for the events should be the solution as you said. However, it is also difficult to determine what would be the main URL of an event? Could you please give me more information about how it should work base on data on your site? That would help me see the problem better and find a solution for it

Regards,

Tuan

More
7 years 7 months ago #86720 by tonis
I think the best first step would be to eliminate duplicate urls for events in more categories. The canonical url in this case could be the one of the default category.

Then, if the category have its own menu item, the event should be displayed there. If the category (subcategory) does not have its own menu item, it colud be displayed in parrent category with menu item view, or in the default events booking menu item. (may be an option in configuration to select the default menu item id, as in some modules of your component)

I know it is not a simple solution, but duplicate urls can be a serious problem.

More
7 years 7 months ago #86721 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Actually, in Events Booking, we have menu options which doesn't require category. For example, calendar menu option or upcoming events menu option....

Combination with How Joomla routing works at the moment, it is quite difficult to prevent this issue from happening

I think the first link generated to the event can be used as main URL. I will explode the canonical url idea. Give me sometime to think about it and find a solution for this problem. As it is complicated, I could not know which time we can have it sorted but I am going to spend time working on it. Maybe we can have this issue sorted in 4 to 6 weeks (or earlier)

Please be patient and wait for me

Tuan

More
7 years 7 months ago #86722 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
If it is possible. I want to know the link to your site and know how you setup your site to events displayed. That would help me understand the real use-cases better

Tuan

More
7 years 7 months ago #86869 by tonis
I can imagine that it ist difficult to solve this, i see there many options which must be considered.

Unfortunately, the site is only in development on localhost .... but it will have one menu item with category timeline layout for the main Top category, and menu views for all main created categories (and maybe also subcategories), search module and upcoming event module .. so far.

More
7 years 6 months ago #87823 by Django
Replied by Django on topic SEO duplicate-content
Hi
There is a lot of Joomla extensions to prevent this problem (that we have with a lot of extensions), by selecting a canonical URL.
By preference order : RSSEO, MijoSEF, SH404SEF for complete SEO functions, and a few free extensions only for canonical URLs on extensions.joomla.org.

More
7 years 3 months ago #93249 by Helen Nunley
Replied by Helen Nunley on topic SEO duplicate-content
Please see my work around and see if it will work for you www.joomdonation.com/forum/events-bookin...ent-work-around.html

Helen

More
7 years 3 months ago #93251 by Django
Replied by Django on topic SEO duplicate-content
Hi Helen. (what a nice smile!)
In my opinion, your solution seems very complicate.
With RSSEO (for ex. but this component does much more), I would just enter the canonical URLs for the concerned pages... and that's it.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc