Coupons Usage is NOT very intuitive

• Arbind Bhagat
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #90990 by Arbind Bhagat
Coupons Usage is NOT very intuitive was created by Arbind Bhagat
The way coupons work in events booking, is not user friendly for the websites with many events. This is due to the fact that, coupon needs to be assigned to the event. This means, everytime you create a new event, you will need to go back to Coupons page, find and edit EACH coupon, and then assign each coupon to that newly created event.

Imagine, you have 100 existing coupons. And you need to assign 90 of those coupons to a newly created event. This means, you will need to edit each of those 90 coupons, ans assign that new event to each one. This is just a nightmare.

Solution:
You better change the workflow. You should make it such that, coupons need to be assigned to the event, and NOT the other way.
This means, when you create a new event, there could be a tab called "Coupons" in the event edit/create page, where the user can choose the coupons (just list all coupons with a checkbox next to each) at the time of the event creation/edit. This would make the workflow lot more user friendly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #91050 by CentauriSoft
Replied by CentauriSoft on topic Coupons Usage is NOT very intuitive
You can just choose "All Events" in the coupon settings.
Then you can use that Coupon at every event.
It does also work with events, that are created after the coupon.
I just tested it, and there was no problem.

More
7 years 5 months ago #91067 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Coupons Usage is NOT very intuitive
I can see where in some situations Michael's solution would be handy, especially when (for example) you want certain coupon codes valid for only Type-A and Type-B events, but not for Type-C events. Under the current Coupon method, selecting "All Events" wouldn't work, and you *would* have to go into each and every coupon to select newly created Type-A and Type-B events. In this case, it would really be simpler to have some way to assign coupons within the event manager. Alternately, you could run a mySQL query to enable coupons by event ID (but I know I'm to really competent with writing DB queries, so I expect most people aren't either!)

Another place where coupons could be expanded is by having Coupon Categories that coupons can be grouped into. You could then (for example) group all of your Groupon "coupons" into a Coupon Category, and then enable that Coupon Category within the event that the Groupon applies to. Further more, in the Coupon Manager, maybe you could then unpublish / collapse / hide the whole Coupon Category so that you don't have 728 Groupon coupons cluttering your Coupon list. (Note: I would LOVE to see Custom Field Categories like this too!!!)

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.

• Arbind Bhagat
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #91077 by Arbind Bhagat
Replied by Arbind Bhagat on topic Coupons Usage is NOT very intuitive
Hi CentauriSoft,
I think you didn't quite understand the use case I was referring to. Note that, I mentioned, there are 100 coupon codes, and I only want to assign 90 of them to a newly created event. That means, I have a use case where I don't want to assign coupons to ALL EVENTS.
So, as you can see, during this use case, I will need to edit 90 times (for each single coupon) and assign it to that new event.

CentauriSoft wrote: You can just choose "All Events" in the coupon settings.
Then you can use that Coupon at every event.
It does also work with events, that are created after the coupon.
I just tested it, and there was no problem.

More
7 years 4 months ago #92019 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Coupons Usage is NOT very intuitive
Hi Michael

Today, I implemented the code to allow choosing coupon assignment option:

1. To All Events

2. To ALL Selected Events

3. To All events except those selected

For your case, I think you would need to choose the option #3, then select the events you don't want coupon to be available and it should work as expected

It works exactly in the same way with assigning module to menu items in Joomla core. If you are interested, send me an email to tuanpn@joomdonation.com and I will send this version for you to try

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc