SEO improvements

• John
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 1 month ago #94004 by John
SEO improvements was created by John
TITLES
For SEO it is wise to avoid having duplicate titles, however in many cases events can be called exactly the same and their distinctness lies in the different date only. Of course you can give different title names is not functional (customer might think it is a different event) or ad a number or date to your event (looks not really nice in timline, table of detailed event view).

One idea could be to split up the know title input box into:
  • One input box for the title as used within the eventbooking pages as they are displayed to the eyes.
  • One input box for the title as it is used in
    Code:
    <title></title>
Perhaps a much more easy programmable solution could be to have near the meta keywords and meta description a third box where you would add simply a title suffix.
So if your title would be: Baking workshop and you would do this every week or month, you could add as a suffix a week number, a date or SKU number of your system so you would have Baking workshop 001, Baking workshop December or something like that. You could even consider to opt for using this suffix field also in the alias (ID number is now possible but looks not great)
Just to make search engines love you again . . .

Currently I started a workaround with RSSeo that stores separately titles for pages, but of course . . . should be done within the application itself.

HEADERS
I believe that headers of component should be H1 while headers of modules (never the main thing on a page) should be at least H2 or perhaps H3

ALT TAG AND IMAGES
The thumbnails shown in timeline, table or default view seriously put you back in search engines As this are often lists with at leas 10 items currently you get penalized several times for this:
  • too many images on a page
  • not having alt tags for them
  • no height and wide defined
  • I believe it would be of course great if:
  • Images (thumbnails) somehow can have a non-follow tag on them (no idea if this is possible)
  • Images (thumbnails) can be put on or off on a page as wanted (now only global, so just set css display:non does not help SEO)
  • Images (thumbnails) receive automaticaly an alt tag
  • Images (thumbnails) receive automatically a height and width tag

• I guess SEO is nowadays very important and this is just very necessary. Tried with extra extensions to come closer but not really nice.

Hope to get some support for this.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #95895 by Eileen
Replied by Eileen on topic SEO improvements
Yes, but a programmatic solution is preferred to support those sites where rights are granted to non-admins to create events and we can't count on those to follow a manual convention to avoid duplicate titles.

• John
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #95933 by John
Replied by John on topic SEO improvements
You have a good point there! So perhaps just adding a date time stamp to make every <title> unique

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #96526 by Fred Pouillot
Replied by Fred Pouillot on topic SEO improvements
As a SEO myself, I support 100% this improvement request. This is very important improvements to be ranked in google, and people using event booking are basically all ecommerce. The rel=nofollow links on image thumbnail is easily doable into the code but the rest require more coding skills and modifications.
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Fred Pouillot.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc