booking for part of event

• Lesley
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #76718 by Lesley
booking for part of event was created by Lesley
Hi how can I set up an event so people can book for 1, 2, or 3 nights for same event? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #76727 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic booking for part of event
The best you can do is to set up a custom field(s) for this.
My preferred way of doing this exact thing is to create a checkbox field for "Overnight Accommodations", with options for FRIDAY NIGHT, SATURDAY NIGHT and SUNDAY NIGHT, setting fees for each option, and setting quantities for each option (so that my available spaces can't be overbooked).
[EDIT] Ooops! At least in my version of EB, you can't do quantity checkbox fields! I will have to check and see if later versions work with this or not! Guess it's time to update and spend an hour re-applying all my custom code changes :(

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by James Riley. Reason: as noted

• Lesley
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #76728 by Lesley
Replied by Lesley on topic booking for part of event
Thanks James,
I was really hoping the answer wasn't going to involve custom fields lol. OK time to man up and try and understand these pesky things it seems. Any tips for idiot proof guides a 5 year old could work would be gratefully received!

More
8 years 2 months ago #76733 by James Riley
Looks like checkboxes might not work as quantity fields, at least in the version of EB I have installed. I will update my EB and check again. Checkboxes will work if you don't need to watch your quantity. You'll have to create a list (with multiple -> yes turned on, and instructions for the user to press ctrl & click to select more than one item) or multiple radio button fields (one fieldset for each night accommodations) if you need quantity.
Here's an example of how to create a list custom field for accommodations. The instructions would be similar for radio and checkbox as well. Sorry the video quality is so low -- I think you should be able to still get the gist of what you need to do from it :)

.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuan Pham Ngoc

• Lesley
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #76735 by Lesley
James, you truly are the most awesome of all the awesome! I'll give this a go tomorrow. If there wasn't a huge patch of sea between us I'd give you a hug/buy you a beer. Fingers crossed and thankyouthankyouthankyou

• Lesley
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #77144 by Lesley
My reply seems to have vanished - sorry to take so long to say thanks for your fab video. I nearly understand custom fields now! One last problem... I put the fields in and prices as per your video and it shows up on group booking form ok (custom fields adult or child). However, when I try and book an adult and child on for one night the sums are wrong and I can't figure out why. Adult £12 child £6 for two nights should be £36 but comes up £42. Any ideas gratefully received (my trial site only has 10 days left so I'm panicking now)

More
8 years 2 months ago #77319 by James Riley
Hmm... Make sure you event is set to $0 itself.
If you have a link that you can send me to a live example, I can take a look at the front end and how calculations are effecting the price -- maybe I can see something from there?!?

• Lesley
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #77335 by Lesley
Aha that's it!! Thank you once again for your idiot proof help. I think I can actually do custom fields now (although I still can't understand most stuff that tells you how to set them up..) Very much appreciated!

Lesley

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc