PayPal Need updated plugin

• Clayton Bronson
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #107925 by Clayton Bronson
PayPal Need updated plugin was created by Clayton Bronson
REQUIRED to avoid service interruptions you need to complete important security upgrades
Re: IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS

So I've done some further research; and it does appear to be a valid PayPal request. Here is a link (on the Austrailian version of PayPal's website), explaining the technical details. At this point, I can only assume the changes will also be applied to US PayPal customers.

Quote from link above:

"The ipnpb.paypal.com and ipnpb.sandbox.paypal.com endpoints only accept HTTPS connections. If you currently use www.paypal.com , you should move to ipnpb.paypal.com when you update your code to use HTTPS."

It appears to specifically have to do with the url being used to postback to PayPal's IPN. This is the connection from YOUR site to PayPal; not the other way around. So when a sale is made on your site; and you send the data to PayPal; you should be using an HTTPS connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #107937 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic PayPal Need updated plugin
Hello

We currently already use https connection to send information to PayPal. However, we don't use ipnpb.paypal.com yet, will work on it and update PayPal payment plugin in 3.2.0 if needed (I am still unsure if ipnpb.paypal.com is stable enough or not compare the current URL which we are using for years)

Tuan

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #107950 by Roger D
Replied by Roger D on topic PayPal Need updated plugin
Received same warning. In US was to be 2017, extended to June 2018

Does this meet our site will have to have an SSL certificate?

Can read it here
www.paypal-notice.com/en/IPN-Verification-Postback-to-HTTPS/
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Roger D.

More
6 years 3 months ago #107958 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
No, your site doesn't need to have an SSL certificate. It is just the code use in the extension to validate payment needs to send to PayPal HTTPS URL (which we already did). The only change which we should do is using ipnpb.paypal.com (it is not required)

So no worry about it for now. We will implement the recommended change, but need carefully testing before apply to the package

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillBentley

More
6 years 3 months ago #107960 by Roger D
Replied by Roger D on topic PayPal Need updated plugin
I agree about the waiting and careful testing personally I'm not going to worry about it till one month before they implemented to give them time to work out the bugs. Thank you very much
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillBentley

More
6 years 3 months ago #108335 by Lisa Renshaw
Replied by Lisa Renshaw on topic PayPal Need updated plugin
According to this link Paypal is strongly recommending the use of ipnpb.paypal.com www.paypal-notice.com/en/IPN-Verification-Postback-to-HTTPS/

So is there anything we need to do to continue using joomdonation and event booking without problems?

More
6 years 3 months ago #108341 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
For now, just use it as how it is. We will change it to use new URL, but need carefully testing before making it public available

The original URL has been working fine for years, so I am unsure if the new URL is reliable at this time yet. Maybe we will just add it as an option in the plugin to stay on safe side for now

Regards,

Tuan

More
6 years 3 months ago #108367 by Jacquie
Replied by Jacquie on topic PayPal Need updated plugin
Hi we have had some registrants try pay via paypal option and get the message.
"We'r sorry, things don't appear to be working right now. Please try again later."
I have confirmed that we have the correct email address for our paypal account in the payment plug in and the paypal account is active.
Paypal is in "live mode"
Locale is set to en_US (default) or as we are in Australia should I change it to en_AU ?

Is this issue to do with this topic or should I raise a support ticket?

More
6 years 3 months ago #108379 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
It is not related to this topic, so Yes, please submit a support ticket so that we can help checking it. Usually this issue happens because:

1. There is space characters entered (before or after) PayPal account

2. Or there is a problem with your PayPal account. The easiest way to check is try to use a different PayPal account which you are sure that it works

Tuan

More
6 years 3 months ago #108424 by LMD
Replied by LMD on topic PayPal Need updated plugin
I received the same message from Paypal. Thank you for addressing this.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc