• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 days ago - 6 years 2 days ago #112279 by LAC Webadmin
Unpublished Event Behavior was created by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

When I tried to unpublished a recurring event, the parent event was unpublished but all of the children are still published and I can still see the number of events in a category view. But when I click on it, it says "There are no events in the selected category".

Shouldn't be the behavior is when the parent is unpublished, children should be unpublished as well?

Another strange thing, I unpublished all the children and see the number of event... 0!

Thanks,

Jackson
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 days ago by LAC Webadmin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 days ago #112287 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Unpublished Event Behavior
Hi Jackson

Parent event, basically, is independent with it's children events. So when you unpublish parent event, children events will still be published. You will need to publish these children events manually

Regards,

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 day ago #112345 by LAC Webadmin
Replied by LAC Webadmin on topic Unpublished Event Behavior
Hi Tuan,

Yes, I noticed that but don't you think the logic is wrong? Or maybe there is a reason why you did this? Like I mentioned above, it does not make sense to make the children independent with regards to published or unpublished when looking at the category view it will not lists any of the children events anyways.

Is there a case use for this? As an end user, logically I would think if I unpublished the event without thinking wether it is a parent or children it should disappear.

Thanks,

Jackson

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 day ago #112362 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Honestly, I could not say it's right or wrong as I don't use the extension in my real life. So far, in few years, that's default behavior and I have no one complain about it, so the behavior is fine, I think. I just updated the code abit so that you can edit the parent, use this method to update published status to children event eventbookingdoc.joomservices.com/basic-s...n-of-children-events

So if you want, download latest package on server, upgrade it, then use it and it should be fine

Regards,

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 21 hours ago #112386 by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

Well, I guess, someone is complaining now :laugh: me! Maybe no one bothers to complain is because your clients will simply override that behavior. Since I am working on the default behavior and thinking that it should work logically before I do an override to minimize things that I should override and maintain.

Think about it like the articles and category, what if I unpublished the category and the articles inside it are still showing up? What would you think about it? The analogy works similarly with the events parent and children where I unpublished the parent but the recurring children are still visible.

Anyways, I'll let you think about it logically and not because no one complains about it.

A small suggestion if you may, if you agree with me, great! :cheer: The checkbox for Update Children Events, maybe it would be nice if you can move that to the left column on the edit layout where it is much more visible rather than it is now buried down right. Well, I guess the edit interface needs a face lift :laugh: by grouping related fields and hide fields if it's not needed. For example, if registration is disabled, all related fields for registration should disappear, don't you think?

Thanks,

Jackson

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 12 hours ago #112402 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
This is actually not the same with categories and articles. Actually, each event in this case, is independent event, so unpublish parent event should not affect children event unless you decide to do that

So for now, please use Update Children Events behavior as I mention. It works, and less risk than the option you suggested

Regards,

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #112444 by LAC Webadmin
Hello Tuan,

Ok, for the sake of this conversation, can you please give me a use case for this behavior?

You already admitted you are not using Event Booking personally but yet you have a strong reason why it should be. :)

Yes, I will use the update children as it is the only way to make it work as it should. What is that risk? Please give me a use case?

Thanks,

Jackson

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc