Adding a new #__jd_donors column for a new Custom Field

• Dave
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #117134 by Dave
Hello. I used backend Custom Field tab to create a new Custom Field: 'district'.

The new 'district' field displays properly on my Donation Form.

The new 'district' field is present in the #__jd_fields table, but not present in the #__jd_donors table.

I manually added the new 'district' field to the #__jd_donors table, so that it would be part of my donor database and also available to call for reports.

Today I will try to confirm that a submitted Donation Form will successfully write user 'District' data to the #__jd_donors table.

1st question:
I notice that my new 'district' field is absent from the sql files contained in
root/administrator/components/com_jdonation/sql/ folder.
Does this mean that future updates will cause my new field and all of its data to vanish due to the update re-writing tables without my custom 'district' field?

2nd question:
If the new 'district' field exists in the Custom Field Tab, and is displayed on the Donation Form page, and is available as a new column in the #__jd_donors table, is anything else required for the JD system to write 'district' data into the jd_donors table at each Donation Form succeed?
I have searched your code to find specific write commands that specify writing fields into database columns, but I cannot find it.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #117144 by Mr. Dam
Hi Dave,
You can add any column into table: #__jd_donors, and this column won't be effect when you install newer Joom Donation version.
But you should modify the Donation layout (Both Back-end and Front-end) to show that field. And remember if you modify layout files, they will be overridden when you install newer Joom Donation version.
Thanks
Dam

• Dave
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #117147 by Dave
Thanks!

Yes, I have modified layout files to show field. I keep a list of core-mods to repeat after update. I try to keep core-mods to a minimum.

2nd question:
Test transactions from localhost are not helpful.
I will have to go live to test complete site function.
Until then, I don't know if Donation-Form-Success will write data for new 'district' field to #__jd_donors table.

Can you help with that question?
If front-end Donation Form has a field for 'District',
and if #__jd_donors table has column for 'district',
will the JD app write the district data to the table after each Donation-Form success, or is some other code-step necessary?

I cannot test this until i go live. That is why I'm asking you.

Thx!

More
5 years 7 months ago #117315 by Mr. Dam
Hi,
Why don't you add new Custom field "District", i think that's the simplest way because the field will still be shown in Donation form and the entered value will be stored in database without any modifying.
Thanks
Dam

Moderators: Mr. DamDũng Nguyễn Việt