Questions about Stripe

• Elliot Block
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #74029 by Elliot Block
Questions about Stripe was created by Elliot Block
Hi Tuan,

I purchased the Stripe payment plugin last night to see if it would be a solution to the problem of recurring subscriptions with PayPal (non Pro); namely:
  1. Without PayPal Pro, a subscriber isn't able to cancel their recurring subscription.
  2. If a credit card is expired when a renewal is conducted, there will be no warning from PayPal, and the subscriber will continue to be 'Active' instead of expired

With the Stripe Plugin, problem 1 is resolved, but I have an additional question:
  • After they have canceled their recurring subscription, can they sign up again? I was unable to find a way to do this but I don't know if that is because I didn't look hard enough. Basically, I am asking if there is any method of renewal for a recurring subscription that has been canceled.

It is unclear to me if problem 2 is resolved or not resolved at this point (and like I said, it may be because I am not looking hard enough). So there are some questions that I have:
  • With Stripe, if a renewal fails because a card has expired, or for any other reason related to payment, is the subscriber marked as 'expired', and are there any error notices given to the subscriber to tell them why they were marked as 'expired'?
  • With Stripe, if this occurs, can this subscriber update their payment information by re-entering it on their "Profile"?

--

These are just the questions that are coming to mind right now, but they are very very important (not just to me, but for a lot of people on this forum). Could you address these topics? If these aren't features that are currently in Membership Pro, they really ought to be added. I can appreciate how daunting a task that recurring subscriptions are. There are a lot of different situations that need to be considered when dealing with them.

Thank you,
Elliot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #74044 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Questions about Stripe
Hi Elliot

1. With Paypal Pro, subscribers can still cancel recurring subscription from within your site. Maybe the Membership Pro payment plugin currently running on your site is outdated, you can drop me an email to tuanpn@joomdonation.com, I will send you the updated plugin to make sure you are having latest version.

2. At the moment, if the subscription is expired in Membership Pro, we don't enable re-sign up if the plan is a recurring subscription plan because I thought that payment should continue happens, haven't thought about card expired use-case, will have to work and improve it carefully. It will take time, let say give me about 4 weeks to work and improve it.

3. In case the card expired, I think subscriber should have an option to update their card from within the site. However, it is a bit hard to implement but I am going to support for it. It might take time, we might need 3 months to have it support in the extension because I need to work on it for different payment gateways (and work on other things, too)

So in conclusion, the way the extension support recurring payment still have some limitation and I will have to work hard to improve it. It will take time, but I can implement it. Please be patient and wait for me

Tuan

• Elliot Block
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #75948 by Elliot Block
Replied by Elliot Block on topic Questions about Stripe
Hi Tuan,

Thank you for understanding how important these features are. These features will set your component at the forefront of all subscription plugins. No other one has the capability.

Paypal Pro is probably a good solution but the problem for us is that it costs $30/month. Stripe does what Paypal Pro does without a monthly charge.

We are going to accept auto-renewing memberships when the Stripe implementation is complete because it will be so much better for our users and we will not have to pay $30/month for Paypal Pro.

Let me know if you would like me to beta test the payment plugin as you develop it.

Thank you!
Elliot

More
8 years 2 months ago #76113 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
It is already completed. You can access to My Downloads menu item on this website, download the latest version of Membership Pro and Stripe payment plugin, setup it to your site to accept recurring payment

Regards,

Tuan

• Elliot Block
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #76158 by Elliot Block
Replied by Elliot Block on topic Questions about Stripe
Yes we are waiting for the implementation of #3 from your post above before we go ahead with using recurring subscriptions on the site.

Thanks,
Elliot

More
8 years 2 months ago #76255 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
For item #3, you might have to wait for more time. Right now, I still want to focus my time to improve other parts of the extension first.

This feature should not prevent you to use the recurring subscription feature on your site, I think

Tuan