Track subscription id through renewal

• Olle Haerstedt
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #81625 by Olle Haerstedt
Track subscription id through renewal was created by Olle Haerstedt
Hi,

We want to connect each subscription with a "key", which is used to enable various features on another site. For example, we can have:

- Subscription A is connected to K1
- Subscription B is connected to K2

When a subscription is renewed, the key will also be extended. To be able to do this, we have to track the subscription id. The problem is, for each payment, a new subscription is created. If subscriptions A and B are of the same plan/type, is it possible to know at payment which one is which?

I looked at the $row value and it has some fields that might be useful. Unfortunately, they are all empty at renewal.

'from_subscription_id' => '0',
'subscription_id' => '',
'from_plan_id' => '0',

Regards
Olle

Edit: I found field "subscription_code", which seems to be unique for each subscription, and can be used to pair one subscription to our "key". Is this correct?
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Olle Haerstedt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #81655 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Track subscription id through renewal
Hi Olle

1. Yes, I think you can use the subscription_code as the key

2. When someone renews the subscription, the system will create a new subscription record. For that record, you would know the user_id and the plan_id, so you can query the database for the first subscription record of that user, check the subscription_code from that first record and extends it. I think it should work (or maybe I mis-undertood your requirement)

Tuan

• Olle Haerstedt
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #81671 by Olle Haerstedt
Replied by Olle Haerstedt on topic Track subscription id through renewal
Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

About 2, it was my understanding (when I looked at the database) that subscription_code is always the same, even for updated subscriptions? So there would be no need to query for the first record. Correct?

Regards
Olle

More
7 years 11 months ago #81754 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Track subscription id through renewal
Hi Olle

That's not correct. Each record has it own subscription_code (it is a random string). So you could not use that string to query the first record.

Regards,

Tuan

• Olle Haerstedt
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #81771 by Olle Haerstedt
Replied by Olle Haerstedt on topic Track subscription id through renewal

Tuan Pham Ngoc wrote: 2. When someone renews the subscription, the system will create a new subscription record. For that record, you would know the user_id and the plan_id, so you can query the database for the first subscription record of that user, check the subscription_code from that first record and extends it. I think it should work (or maybe I misunderstood your requirement)

This solution will not work if a user can have multiple subscription. I'm still looking for a away to uniquely identify a subscription through renewals.

Olle

Edit: Maybe the best solution is to create a new column in the osmembership_subscriber table, to use as identifier? Then it can be accessed and updated through a plugin. What to you think?

Edit 2: I realized that subscription_id (using profile id from Paypal) is unique together with user_id, so I will use that to track subscriptions.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Olle Haerstedt. Reason: Added solution