Need Notification of Attempt to Create Membership

• nadinekirma
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #81724 by nadinekirma
Hi Tuan!

I hope that you can help me on this. We want to get notification of a failed attempt to create a membership with a Paypal option. Let me explain:

Presently, I have a client site using Membership Pro. We have two payment methods: an offline payment option if they wan to pay by check. We have a Paypal payment option also.

If a subscriber signs up for offline, the subscriber gets a welcome email. Also, the administrator and those others designated to receive notifications are advised of the new membership. The membership is set to pending. That is all good. That way the client owners get the information, and can follow up and get payment. AND, the subscriber account is activated and all is good.

HOWEVER, contrast this with the Paypal option. The subscriber signs up. Goes to Paypal and for some reason, the transaction does NOT complete. The site owner does NOT get notified of the account information or the attempt to create the account. So, the site owner cannot follow up, and never even knows the issue. The subscriber does not get any email (like the manual subscriber gets) that tells him or her that they have signed up, but are pending due to payment not being made. Actually, there is no real error message to the subscriber who made the attempt. The attempt winds up dying.

Can you help us configure things so that the client gets notice of the failed attempt to create the subscription because of a lack of completion of the Paypal checkout? My client says "I need to know that so I contact this person" etc. And I think that is a reasonable expectation and hope you can work your magic. We would love for that to be shown as a pending subscription, no different from the the offline subscriber. Indeed, a person who selects Paypal might just decide that he wants to bring a check to the organization.

As always, with kindest regards,

Nadine at Solia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #81743 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Need Notification of Attempt to Create Membership
Hi Nadine

Sorry but this is not possible. Membership Pro relies Paypal IPN message to work (When someone makes payment at PayPal, PayPal will send notification to Membership Pro so that Membership Pro will know about this payment, verify the payment, update status of the subscription record....)

In the case you described, users simply abort the payment, so PayPal won't send any notification to Membership pro and Membership Pro won't know anything about it to send emails..

The subscription record however, still remain and can be viewed in Membership Pro -> Subscriptions with Pending status. So if you want to contact the subscriber, you can open the record to see the data...

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: nadinekirma

• nadinekirma
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #81778 by nadinekirma
Replied by nadinekirma on topic Need Notification of Attempt to Create Membership
Thanks for your prompt response Tuan. We will work within this functioning.

Please keep this in mind though. We use a commerce program that sends order notifications to the site owner even when an order fails due to payment issues. The owner LOVES that, since he can immediately send an inquiry to the purchaser and helpt them if they have any troubles. There have been a lot of recoveries that way. Also, one suggestion: if the payment fails, perhaps in the future you might be able to add a "process payment" button in the user history. In other words, if Paypal fails, and the user finds the pending transaction in the his or her account history, it would be nice to be able to resubmit payment right there.

We hope that all is otherwise well with you and appreciate the good work of you and your team.

With kindest regards,

Nadine at Solia.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #81857 by Olle Haerstedt
Replied by Olle Haerstedt on topic Need Notification of Attempt to Create Membership
Well, you could add a cronjob to scan for subscriptions in pending status. And then notify the site owner about those. Just an idea. (Provided you have developers in-house.)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Olle Haerstedt.

More
7 years 11 months ago #81909 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Need Notification of Attempt to Create Membership
Actually, the extension has a plugin called "System OS Membership Cleaner" which can scan the pending subscription records. A developer (who know programming) can modify that plugin (plugins/system/osmembershipcleaner/osmembershipcleaner.php ) to send emails as suggested by Olle if needed

Tuan