Database cleanup of expired members

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 9 months ago #84863 by intouchweb
Database cleanup of expired members was created by intouchweb
We like to clean up the database of all expired members each year, after the 'grace period' has passed for the current year's membership renewals. However, with users listed in Joomla and subscribers listed in Membership Pro, and their subscriptions also linked to their user profile in Membership Pro, I am a little unsure how to best proceed. If we just remove expired members from the Joomla users, are they automatically removed as subscribers in Membership Pro? Are their old subscriptions records also deleted? What is your advice to remove all expired members on the current functionality of Membership Pro?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #84869 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Database cleanup of expired members
The advice is don't remove it. If you remove the subscriptions records, it might break the data structure if Membership Pro and it might break some functions like Membership Pro -> Subscriber or Members List from frontend

You should keep the data as how it is (unless your old expired subscribers don't need to to access to your site / system again)

Tuan

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 9 months ago #84873 by intouchweb
Replied by intouchweb on topic Database cleanup of expired members
So just to clarify, can I safely delete Joomla users?
Are you saying that is Ok as long as I keep the Membership Pro subscription data..?
OR.. are you saying to never delete Joomla users either ??
(PS: I should have mentioned, I have User Registration integration switched to ON)

More
7 years 9 months ago #84875 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
You should not delete any data. However, it seems in your case, your expired subscribers will never come back to use your system again, so you can delete both Joomla users and subscriptions data of these users

Deleting users account won't delete subscription data, so you will have to delete it in both places

Tuan

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 9 months ago #84883 by intouchweb
Replied by intouchweb on topic Database cleanup of expired members
No, that is not the case, we do want members to come back and hopefully they will at some point.
However if their membership has expired and they wish to re-start their membership at a later time we currently expect them to join again as a new member, providing the appropriate documentation as per the current rules. This is why we thought it best to clean out the database of expired members. As we have 'members only' content, we have also configured so that expired members can't actually log in, therefore unless we remove them from the database they will need to create a new user account each time with a new username and email address. If they have only one email address they therefore cannot rejoin?? I hope this make sense... any advice appreciated.

More
7 years 9 months ago #84919 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
If so, then you can clean up database like that. However, before clean up, I would suggest you to make a full backup of the current database. Who knows if in the future you want to restore these expired members ?

Tuan